Four barrel advice for a '66 260 Tiger needed

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Four barrel advice for a '66 260 Tiger needed
From: Peter Laurinaitis <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 07:46:14 -0800 (PST)
Greetings from NY again.  I wanted to survey the group's thoughts on 4-barrel
carbs.  Since I currently have a non-correct (Holley) 2-barrel on my Tiger
right now, I would either go correct 2-barrel, but preferably "correct"
4-barrel.  I might as well go 4-barrel, but want to keep the car essentially
stock or period correct.  The car is basically stock (other than the incorrect
carb now) (still on the generator system also) and I only plan to zip around
backroads upstate NY, maybe autocross down the road a little.  Here are my
questions:

(1) I am thinking of going with essentially a LAT-1 set-up: find an old
Edelbrock F4B manifold (I understand this was the OEM LAT-1 set-up) plus get a
brand new Holley 4 barrel 0-1848-1 (465 cfm) carb (which I also understand to
be what the OEM LAT-1 set-up was, but seems better to go new with the carb if i
can) ... QUESTION: what has been people's experience with this set-up, does it
fit under a stock hood clearance-wise, and any other considerations or
opinions?

(2) What other carb/manifold combos have people tried and what has been their
experience?

(3) What performance pick-up can I expect, assuming for now everything else is
bone stock?

(4) What installation issues have people noted, and is this a pretty simple
swap to do at home?  How about getting it tuned correctly, or does a new carb
come pretty much plug-and-play ready?

(5) Any additional wear and tear on the drivetrain from the extra power, or is
the drivetrain bullet proof enough that it is not even relevant at this level
of extra power?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

Peter Laurinaitis