Re: Four barrel advice for a '66 260 Tiger needed

To: Peter Laurinaitis <laurin212@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Four barrel advice for a '66 260 Tiger needed
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:58:02 -0800
Peter,

The LAT 1 and 1848-1 is what I am running on a very stock block.  It is
an easy (relative) installation, and fits fine. No hood interference,
however I have addressed how to align a hood/hinges for perfect
location, and easy R&R in TigersUnited.com.

A larger carb, barring major engine modifications, is over-carburation
for the stock block, and results in flat spots, lags, and a boggy
response.  You could run 600 CFM, at a cost in fuel economy and smooth
performance, with little resultant power improvement.  Need a lot more
work on heads, cam, etc. to swallow the air the 600 is happy at.  Tried
them both.

One major problem is the F4B, in that the model produced for the LAT
option is NOT identical to the US model in small, but important
details.  The water sensor hole on the US model is pipe threaded (per
normal US practice) but the Tiger LAT version is straight threaded to
match the British sending unit (about 5/8-16, I believe.  Check sender).

Additionally, there is no carb spacer used (as in the two barrel) and no
provision for the stock PCV, which you need for a closed system.  The
LAT version includes a pipe thread on an intake runner that needs to be
opened up for a right angle adapter, as the LAT-1.  An expensive, but
neat alternative, is to replace the bottom throttle plates with a later
model 600 CFM plate that has the vacuum connection.  Although the
throttle plates are slightly larger, they do not interfere with the
upper body, nor influence air flow that is controlled by the nozzle in
each barrel.  Finding a used, good, lower body may require a Pick-A-Part
search, or an expensive spare part. (~$100).

Good luck.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman