RE: Non-TIger specific: Compression Ratio some more

To: "'Thomas Witt'" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Non-TIger specific: Compression Ratio some more
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:24:00 -0800
"I have a friend who works for Shelby as well as has an engine building shop
called Mitech. He once commented to me that you can only get so much torque
out of any given bore/stroke combination."

You have a very savvy friend Tom. Engine builders rely on torque curves to
analyze engine performance because they know that a given cubic inch engine
will give a well defined torque output if it's getting a lungful (%100
volumetric efficiency) in every cylinder at any given rpm. If you get less
than that, the VE is less than %100, which means the intake runners are too
big (or too small), or the valve timing has too much overlap (or not
enough). You can design the engine to have its maximum torque at any rpm you
like, but the cost of keeping all the parts connected goes up exponentially.

Bob