Re: Crossmember removal

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crossmember removal
From: Mark Burnett <2mbb@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:23:18 -0800
Once all the other stuff is disconnected/removed (brake lines, etc.) I
jack up the front and remove two of the opposing bolts that hold the
crossmember to the frame (Left front and right rear, for example).  I
use a couple of lengths of thread rod that will fit through the bolt
holes.  On the bottom part of the thread rod, below the crossmember, I
put some fender washers (larger than the cross member bolt hole), a
regular washer and two nuts jammed together.  On the section of thread
rod above the crossmember & frame I use fender washers, regular washer
and a single nut.  I tighthen these up, then remove the remaining two
crossmember bolts.  I then loosen the top nuts, back and forth to lower
the crossmember.  Installation is the reverse procedure.  It makes
lining up the bolt holes really easy and is a one person job.  I use
vice grips or something similar on the lower nut(s) to keep the thread
rod from spinning.  There are different variations of this same idea
that will let you use a speed handle on the top to make things go faster.