RE: Silicone brake fluid and brake lights

To: "'Bill Manning'" <gripdad@sbcglobal.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Silicone brake fluid and brake lights
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:41:51 -0500
Bill
        I'm currently using a brake light switch from a 1991 or newer Ford
Escort.   I suggest to any one wanting a mechanical switch to go to your
local Auto yard and grab the switch and wire harness; this will make it
easier to wire into your car.   The switch is also available at any Auto
Parts Store.

        I found that the spring rate in this switch was too great so I
carefully pulled the switch apart and found 2 springs inside; remove the
heavy spring and assemble the switch.  The switch will now work with the
stock spring force of the brake pedal.

        I have made a couple of different bracket to hold the switch above
the pedal but I'm not totally satisfied with either of them.    I just have
not spent the time to design and make a really good solid mount for the
switch.

        My current thoughts about this bracket is to make one that clamps
onto the steering column.  I have not tried this yet so I don't know how
well it will work; maybe this spring.

        There are 2 advantages to using a mechanical brake light switch:

1       The brake lights come on quicker and that means you could be safer
2       A mechanical switch is necessary to install cruise control; which I
did

Ron Fraser