RE: Theft Deterrent

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Theft Deterrent
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:51:17 -0700
The MSD6-AL allows you to use the 'other' trigger input (i.e. if you're
using the magnetic sensor, then you use the points trigger wire, and vice
versa) as an ignition disable device - just switch it to ground and nothing
is going to happen.

When I had a Mallory Unilite distributor in the car, I'd take the rotor from
inside the cap if I was leaving the car anyplace or if we were going
somewhere for a couple of days. Chances are that it will take any potential
(amateur) thief a while to figure out what's wrong, and even then a Unilite
rotor isn't on all the parts shelves.

You can easily make up an ignition lockout using a relay and a pushbutton,
where you have to push the button once after turning on the ignition to
enable the coil. I'll put up a schematic drawing later today. It would apply
to the fuel pump as well - but as Gary says, a knowledgeable thief will know
that something is up if the pump doesn't come on when they hotwire the
ignition.

A professional thief would just pretend that the car is his, roll up to it
with a flatbed carhauler, and take it away, running or not. The only way you
would even give them any pause is if the car had some especially
attention-getting alarm system - it might make them go to the next one
instead. I heard where for a while, Porsche 928's were a hot enough
commodity that thieves would drill from the outside bodywork into the
battery to drain it, then take the car when the alarm was incapable of
making any difference.

Theo