RE: Wally Swift

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wally Swift
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:52:44 -0400
I do not recall the dealer name in Pensacola but, I do remember that he
blamed the requirement for a collapsible steering column for 1968 on the end
of Tiger production.

Pensacola is the home of Naval Aviation and most of the young pilots bought
Corvettes. The dealer there sold more than any other in the country. Forty
miles away was an air force community. Most of those guys were into Griffins
with the 289 engines.  Still, Tigers sold well when they came in and one was
to be mine the summer I graduated High School in 1967.  But, I was young and
foolish and bargained for a 1957 MGA if I could have it early.  Sorry, this
got a little off topic. Robin Young

"Many people think that Chrysler was the Tiger's doom.  That  was not the
case."............."In 1965 the US  Government imposed safety  regulations
that
came into force on January 1, 1968. That's the reason why Tiger  and Alpine
roadster production ended in December, 1967."
He does acknowledge the problem with Chrysler using Ford engines,  but seems

to say that the safety regs. were the main reason.  Any thoughts  on this?
Mark L.