Re: Wally Swift

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wally Swift
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:10:22 -0400
Hi Folks:

I think Robin has it correct, at least as far as my memory of an
explanation for the demise
of the Tiger in 1968.  It was the safety regs, and specifically the
requirement for a
collapsible steering column that would have necessitated a signficant
redesign for the
Tiger, and Alpine as well.  It is too bad that Chrysler didn't go ahead
because it would
have been the ideal time to fix the inherent steering issues with the
Tiger.  As has been
noted, the Tiger sold in small numbers and, even if Chrysler had redesigned
the steering
on the Alpine, it probably could not have been adapted to the
Tiger.  Probably the issue
of the engine and gearbox played some role, but Chrysler would certainly
have been
willing to live with that if they could continue to make a profit on the
Tiger.  Even back
then, it was all about the money!  I would not disbelieve Wally without a
lot of solid
evidence.

Cheers,

Tod