Re: Spam and Spammers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spam and Spammers
From: "Peter Laurinaitis" <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:39:39 -0400
gary - though i agree in theory, i would think these spammers get results by
sending out hundreds of thousands (or millions) of spam emails as the
response (purchase) rate to such spam is probably like 1% or so, so i think
they are probably more sophisticated than just manually capturing email
addresses that come across their inbox (which certainly wouldnt be in the
hundreds of thousands).  They use complex software to either generate
millions of random email addresses that bomb yahoo and aol is my guess (ever
notice how if you want any random name you decide on to use to open a new
account, your first 5 tries are usually unsuccessful as you pick names
already in use, this speaks to how many email addresses there are out there,
so likely that a random email address generated would have a decent success
rate in hitting real addresses).  Though to your theory, i might agree that
may be a way they capture email address, assuming they had a software
program that captured email address as they hit their inbox, but seems like
an unproductive way to generate a few "leads".  There are thousands of list
servers, I am guess many ending in *******@autox.team.net ... I am guessing
the spammers are hitting every list serve address with random generated
addresses that utilizes that server, and all servers also.  Same problem has
happened to me with any list server i've ever been on.

That all said, ive delete the addresses from the email above to protect us.
=)

peter