220 voltage question UPDATE

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 220 voltage question UPDATE
From: "Peter Laurinaitis" <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 00:43:23 -0400
thks for all the great responses on the 220 voltage question...i made it up to
my hanger to get the info needed so my question can be answered correctly,
sorry didnt have all the right info available the first time...

basically the breaker box is ~150' feet away outside at the end of the row of
hangers and the conduit runs overhead along the front ceiling of the hanger,
feeds the hanger door 220v motor, and runs a 110v conduit to the back of my
hanger down to an outlet.  my compressor/blast box setup is at the back of the
hanger near the 110v outlet.  it is a very large compressor 5hp but about 6'
tall and 3' wide, commercial unit, plus a filter box filled with cloth tubes
that is the size of a small refrigerator but 6' tall, and a very large blast
cabinet.  i believe the filter is to clean the air being pulled out of the
blast cabinet, not to pre-filter the air going into the compressor.  its an
industrial set-up that has been indefinitely "loaned" to me.  the breaker box
has two (2) mated 30 amp breakers.

it seems the filter motor is "115/208-230" (pic of label linked below) so i
think i can adjust the jumpers appropriately per schematic and plug this motor
simply into the 110v outlet, correct? (appears to be single phase also)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/peter212/filtermotor.jpg

the compressor will require 220v (appears to be single phase also - pic of
label attached), so i am thinking of piggy-backing an outlet box to the 220v
single outlet that runs the hanger door motor, and installing another single
220v outlet, and running an exension cord of appropriate guage (? should i not
do this?) the 40' across the ceiling and 30' or so down to the compressor.  i
was thinking maybe i would zip-tie the extension cord to the 110v conduit lin
that runs across the ceiling to the back of the hanger.

might this set up work?  is that too far to run a 220v extension cord? seems
the compressor may be 27.3 amps (I am looking at "S.F.A." notation) ... and i
wouldnt use the hanger door at the same time as the compressor.  does two
mated 30amp breakers give me the ability to run up to 60amps of motors
combined?  (not sure how many amps the hanger door motor is)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/peter212/compressormotor.jpg

thanks all,
peter

ps - i rent the hanger, so not that keen to do a very permanent installation,
but want to do it safe and correct (or at least safe)