Thermodynamic Analogies

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Thermodynamic Analogies
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:05:07 EDT
In a message dated 7/8/2006 7:28:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rfraser@bluefrog.com writes:

The
other problem is the higher and faster the flow through the  block the less
time the coolant has to absorb heat, so you could have a  worse overheating
problem.

Ron,

What you have said here is a well accepted "Old Wives Tail" but as  Henry V
says, dead incorrect. It may take some courses in thermodynamics to  understand
why. However, I think it would be an interesting exercise for some of  you to
come up with analogies that demonstrate the principles. Here is  one that I
have quickly concocted, show us a better one.

Think of the system as a bar where people are drinking beer. The  owner says,
if I limit the number of people in the bar, the waitress  will have more time
to serve each customer so that they will each  drink more beer. Therefore I
will sell more beer.

John  Logan