Re: Lat 5 weld on bars

To: PhastPhill@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lat 5 weld on bars
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:16:13 -0700
At 04:18 PM 8/22/2006, you wrote:
>I have weld on TM's on my car, and who ever put them on must have done it  25
>years ago. Looks like they used a stick welder, they are solid but not
>pretty. I posted on the TEAE site and I'll ask here as well. I want
>to clean up
>they area around them and the spring mounts and reweld it with my
>mig. I have
>searched and searched for an article about reinforcing this
>area,  sure I  read
>one but can't find it. just thought while I was  there I would try to add
>some strength neatly if possible. Thanks.... any ideas  or thoughts would be
>welcomed......cheers......phil

I have a reinforcing kit available for that area of the frame.  Rob
and I haven't had a chance to add it to our web site yet but I do
have stock.  I have a draft of the procedure and several photos of
the installation available, but there not really complete to my
standards yet.  The kit includes 3 pieces for each side of the
Tiger.  One you bend to conform to the side of the frame, one is on
the bottom, and the third fits between the front spring mount so that
the whole area is tied together and bridges the rear sub frame to the
X member.  I also include a pair of plates for the front tube nut
(Front Crossmember).  This is an area that is becoming increasingly
prevalent for structural failures.  The plates are mild steel
approximately 0.132"  thick and are laser cut.

I also strongly recommend cutting the TM bars and converting them to
the "bolt-on" design.

I also have a kit for the Panhard Rod frame connection.  This one is
four pieces.  Three for the mount assembly and one 1/8" plate to
cover the frame so that you have something to reconnect to.  The
mount material is 3/16" thick and features three adjustment holes so
that you can get the Panhard Rod level in the car.  It does require
welding to the back wall of the trunk, so some touch up painting is
required.  Same story on the procedure.  Pics and draft but not
really polished yet.

Contact me for photos and pricing details.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net