Distributor installation

To: "Tiger Email List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor installation
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 00:26:33 -0800
Hello listers. I am having one bit of trouble that has me stumped:.
I'm restoring the heater system (which was completely missing from my car and
had to take the
distributor out to install a heater hose elbow and I just can't get it to drop
back into place. The distributor is an MSD unit and there's no apparent
interference with anything topside. .

I marked the indexing before I removed it. It's clearly not
dropping onto the oil pump intermediate shaft, which is a pointed hex shaft
that inserts into a hex hole at the bottom of the distributor shaft.

Looking down into the oil pump, the intermediate shaft is movable and flopping
over to
one side and appears not to be centering itself when the distributor is
dropped in. I tried to prop it into
position, and worked the crankshaft back and forth with a wrench on the
pulley nut, but nothing seems to work. The workshop manual says to crank the
engine, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster and completely losing the
distributor indexing. Does the intermediate shaft come out with a magnetic
pickup and get inserted into the distributor shaft with a bit of grease to
hold it and then go back in?

What to do?