Re: Modern Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Modern Tiger
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:28:13 -0500
When I bought my Tiger back in 1966, the other cars that I considered, as I
recall, were the TR4, a Fitch Corvair, a used E-type and maybe a couple of
others (memory fades with time!), but not anything American, certainly.  I
think I had a brief flirtation with an Alfa coupe and a Volvo P1800 as
well, but one drive in the Tiger...
As to present day comparisons, keep in mind that the stock Tiger had 164 hp
(200 for the MkII) so it wasn't blisteringly fast like some of our cars
now.  Up until recently I had a Subaru Impreza RS sedan which was almost (I
said ALMOST) as much fun as the Tiger.  I would never take the Tiger out in
the snow (it does snow around here) but the Subie had AWD, 160 bhp and air
bags, dontcha know!  What a concept - driving fun in the winter!  Of
course, you couldn't put the top down (unless you had a torch) and not even
a sun roof but we had our moments.  The WRX is even more exciting, but it
is hard for me to justifiy that kind of excitement with my advancing
years.  Best to save up for the summer and the Tiger.  I have a Subaru
Outback with the 6-cyl engine (250 hp) now, which is very nice (Subarus are
a way of life in Maine).  I have thought several times that Subaru should
make an AWD mid-engined two-seater with the option of either the 4 or 6
cylinder boxer engine.  If GM can make their Solstices (sun stands still?)
at a reasonable price, Subaru should be able to eat their lunch.  Now that
would be a modern Tiger!

Tod
B382002384LRXFE