Re: Engine breathing

To: "Stephen Jones" <joness@wsu.edu>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine breathing
From: ggere@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:40:34 +0000
> I am putting a tripower on a 289 and had a general question on engine
> breathers. My stock setup (4 barrel) has a pcv valve going into the back of
> the carb and the oil filler breather tube going in to the bottom of the air
> filter housing. I plan to run open emissions on the new setup with a
> tubeless vented oil cap but I am not sure what to do on the other valve
> cover.
> Question is what do I do with the passenger side valve cover? A small
> vented cap? If so does anyone have a part number of one that works well for
> them? I don't imagine it is a good idea to just plug the thing up. Right?

The road draft system requires a tube from either the valve cover or the back
of the intake manifold that extends below the back of the engine sufficient so
that when the vehicle is moving a "draft" is created on the tube which causes
air to move from the open breather cap on the valve cover through the crank
case and out the tube, evacuating the crank case of all the combustion blow
by products. The early 90-degree Ford V8s attached a road draft tube to either
the passenger valve cover or the back of the intake - there must be an oil
screen
or other separator in the tube or connection - the intake manifold had a screen
and plate contained within the intake manifold itself.

A pcv system is much better than a road draft system. A pcv system works
even when the vehicle is never run at high speeds. The road draft system
needs sufficient forward speed of the vehicle to create a "draft" under
the vehicle to draw air through the engine. If you do not run the vehicle
at high enough speeds often enough, the engine oil will get contaminated
with combustion blow by products many of which are corrosive to things
like engine bearings.