RE: Fuel Pump Heat

To: "'Jeffers'" <jeffers@mwt.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Heat
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:57:33 -0500
Tom
        That is a very unique solution and it could be employed by anyone as
a possible emergency fix if absolutely needed to get going again.  You would
have had to already moved the original oil filter to do this but many of us
have already done that.   The mechanical pump some hard line, some rubber
fuel line, some hose clamps and you could be rolling again.  It is an
interesting concept.  Thanks for sending it along.

        I'm not if favor of the heat wrap that was applied.   My thoughts
are that although the fiberglass backing does not absorb liquids it can wick
gasoline along its fibers and become saturated; a possible fire waiting to
happen.  I would rather see all the connections to the fuel filter and fuel
pump to be sure they are dry and not smell and see smoke coming out around
the hood.   I also prefer to see all the rubber hose connection and their
clamps so I can tell if they are in good condition.

        For those of you following the timing thread; the distributor in
that picture is an early style as illustrated in the Shop Manual.   The
round section at the clamp and the oil spout are the tells.

Ron Fraser