Re: survivor

To: "Chris Thompson" <chris@cthompson.net>, "Theo Smit" <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: survivor
From: <arado7@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:48:41 -0500

>I remember writing a rant on this list several years ago about this issue.
>It was Henry Ford who taught Andrew Carnegie to quit over-restoring
>antiques.  The patina is what defines them.  I'll spare the rest of the
>rant.
>
> I recall there was a remarkable MKII survivor on e-bay a year or two ago
> that went for about $55,000?  True originals with their original paint and
> air in their tires are extremely rare and I am betting will become much
> more valuable over time than restored cars....
>
> But just my dos centavos of course.....
>
> Chris
In my 2 cents I have nothing against a high quality restoration. To bring
back a deteriorated original is applaudable. The problem with restoration is
the increasing difficulty of correct spares. As in example a rear view
mirror now brings hundreds of dollars, an air cleaner five hundred...It is
now cheaper to modify than restore. Also a car with original tires and air
is as useless as a 100 point car in a bubble..you can't drive them. Sorry
for the 5 cents...Gary  B9472283