RE: Paint Question

To: "'Joe Parlanti'" <parlanti@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Paint Question
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:54:48 -0500
Joe
        Painting plastic can be very difficult as you know.    You say you
used primer paint; for plastic I never use primer, I use Adhesion Promoter.
Adhesion Promoter is mostly a solvent that softens the plastic so the paint
will bit into the surface.   Usually the biggest problem with plastic is
getting it clean enough to paint; I use an automotive type silicone remover/
cleaner product.   Sometimes you have to warm the plastic up a little so
that release agents or whatever is in the plastic will come to the surface
so you can clean it off.

        Since you have already painted the part you might just want to wet
sand it smooth and shot it again.  Any painting is a bit of an art form to
get a smooth shiny surface; temperature and humidity are the big factors.
You also have to be careful not to put any fingerprints on the parts.   Many
times I will put on a nitrile glove and hold the part in my fingers to paint
them.

        If you are shooting with an aerosol can one really big factor is the
nozzle on the can.   I like the nozzles with the  fan pattern you can turn
from vertical to horizontal and I keep extra clean nozzles handy in case one
clogs up.   You can soak a clogged nozzle in a little bit of lacquer thinner
to clean it out.

Good luck with your painting.
Ron Fraser