Re: Mirror location

To: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
Subject: Re: Mirror location
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:53:52 -0700
Bill,

I offer my personal experience with rear view mirrors, extending from my
'52 MG, '54 Jag, '59 Porsche 356, '66 Porsche 911S, '75 "RED TOI kit
car, '67 Alpine S-5, and '65 Tiger Mk I.

All had year original rear view mirrors.  The early ones were Lucas
front wing mounted that were curved glass, and mounted on the front
fenders.  Excellent coverage of traffic along both sides of car.

The RED TOI had plastic "tear drop" type housing, curved glass, and were
mounted on door/top to view trough side glass.

The Tiger has chromed "racing type" forward door mounted round curved
glass mirrors.  Since the US got involved, in later years, of approving
rear view mirrors, and specified that ONLY passenger side mirrors be
supplied curved, there has been a vision problem.  This is why I had
moderately curved mirror made, or purchased for BOTH sides.

All adaptations worked fine in a clear view of both sides, with a
"flick" of the eyes - NOT HEAD. Minimizing time to scan is important for
safe driving.

Examples may be seen throughout the TigersUnited.com article "My (life
with) Cars", (SOUND ON):

http://www.tigersunited.com/articles/sl-mc/SteveLaifman.asp

or the lead photo on:

http://www.tigersunited.com/default.asp