Re: gauge problems

To: R Smith <max348@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: gauge problems
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:46:30 -0700
Rob, the only instruments I have swapped out have been the tach and the
speedo. But, since you mention Lucas wiring...are you using the wiring
that was in place for the original gauges?  Seems that could be an issue
to me. I would run temporary wires from a switched 12volt source
directly to the meters/senders as specified in the data sheets to see if
they will work then. Remember that usually the senders are the ground
path so keep the teflon thread sealing tape to a minimum. And if the
gauges themselves are in the wood dash, be sure to ground them good
although I do not know if this is required if the sender is grounded.
Never hurts to have all the bases covered.  On the race car, I used
Autometer almost exclusively and have had no issues with any of their
products, but I ran all my own wiring.

mayf, way off and far out in pahrump