Re: Stud for conv top (PRIVATE)

To: Tiger man <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stud for conv top (PRIVATE)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:56:39 -0700
Steve,

I went out and looked at my MkI ('65).  I have a hard top, and these are
not used by it.  I believe the soft top has attachments near the front
edge of the sides for securing the soft top, but I have never used it,
either.  They surround the back edge of the top storage but the metal
panels do not use them.

However, my tonneau cover does.  Although my car did not have a tonneau
cover, I bought a very nice one from sunbeam Specialties, and they fit
perfectly - especially if you order with the clear description of your
FRONT "lift-a-dot" fasteners on the dash.  I believe the MIA's use
differing locations at the dash top fastening locations.

I cannot see how you could get any wrench on a backside nut, except,
perhaps, around the trunk access area.   I can absolutely recommend that
they be removed for any painting in their area.  You will then directly
see if turning the stud does loosen it without a wrench inside the
fender.  I'll bet it does.

Last tip.  When they were to be replaced, I purchased some 4/40 (I
believe) stainless flat washers to go between the stud head and the
paint.  This will be almost invisible (diameter slightly smaller than
stud "wrench" flats, non corrosive, and prevent gouging the paint (new
or old).  This is also a recommendation for the front studs, as it will
reduce tendencies to tear vinyl dash top locations.

Steve
___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com