Re: Stud for conv top

To: "Tiger man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stud for conv top
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:00:58 -0700
At 03:22 PM 6/1/2007, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My tiger came from the PO with one of the studs missing that helps hold the
>conv top and tonneou cover in place.  There has been a spare rolling in the
>console and I thought I would install it before I managed to loose it. The
>stud is the one right behind the passenger door.  I got the  passenger side
>piviot point of the convertible top loose and moved out of the way.  I assumed
>there would be an access hole behind it to install the nut on the stud, but no
>hole.   I can't figuire out how you would install that stud.  I'd rather not
>dissassemble anything else if I don't know how to access the back of that
>panel.to get that nut on there.  Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

The OEM application use a stud with sheet metal screws in most
locations.  They tend to get loose and pull out after a time under
load.  The best solution is a rivet with internal threads known as a
Rivnut or similar name.  They come in plated steel and aluminum in
several sizes and normally require a special tool to set the
rivet.  This will add years to the life of the stud and it will also
stay closer to vertical since the Rivnut spreads the loads into a
larger area.  If someone has welded or braised the original hole
closed you may have more of a challenge putting it back in the same place.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net