Re: [Tigers] Automatic transmissions?

To: <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Automatic transmissions?
From: "Tiger man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:31:39 -0600
--===============0825761274==

The shifter that is sitting in my parts box has the pattern you mention, but
only on the left side.

The shifter assembly is all metal and covered in surface rust, and has that
pattern in the metal base.  I am more use to the Mustang application that
has seperate plastic and fake chrome bezel that is overtop of the metal
assembly.  I would think that this shifter would look a bit unfinished in a
car with just unfinished metal exposed.

The 4cyl distributor that is in the box says Lucas on the vacuum diaphram
and in the metal casting and has a part # of 40942A and 164 below it.  Does
anyone know if this belongs to an alpine?   The person I bought the car from
had a wide variety of tastes in cars, so I almost wonder if this box of
parts was for another car.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
The information I have is that a Borg Warner type 35, 3 speed,
automatic transmission was an option for the Alpine.
The shifter bezel should have P R N D L on both sides of the shifter, makes
it visible for both left and right hand drive cars.

The Tiger never had an automatic as an option but several articles have been
written about installing an automatic into a Tiger and I have seen one of
them.

Ron Fraser

Hi all,

Just digging through some boxes of parts that came with my tiger a couple of
years ago, and in a box that contains what looks like an Alpine 4cyl
distributor, and a starter that I can only guess is for a Alpine, and some
steering component I don't recognize, I found a floor mounted automatic
transmission shifter.  Did the tiger or alpine ever come with an automatic
transmission, or is this just a completely wrong part hanging out in my
parts boxes.  If the shifter is not for an Alpine, the whole box of parts
may be suspect as for some other vehicle.

Anyway if anyone is curious, I can try to post some pics of the parts and we
can play an interesting game of "What the heck is this"

Thanks,
Steve