Re: [Tigers] Loose tonneau studs

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Loose tonneau studs
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:24:30 -0600
I recently did the rivnut installation with the Harbor Freight tool.  I
would recommend getting a spare piece of sheet metal, and practicing a few
times (possibly with one of the sizes you aren't going to use for the car),
as it was very easy to use too much pressure and rip the threads right out
of the rivnut.  Too little pressure, and it doesn't seat firmly and will
spin in the hole.

I wasn't thrilled with my first couple attempts, even though after the first
couple of tries, I did manage to get ones in there with enough threads left
to work.  But I did subsequently purchase some more rivnuts and an alternate
tool from 'aircraft spruce' since the rivnuts are popular with the home
built aircraft crowd for mounting dashes and stuff.  I haven't had time to
go out and drill out the current rivnuts I have in there and try this new
tool and rivnuts, so it may be no better.

You will of course need the replacement style stud that has the threaded
shaft and nut (8-32 I believe) as the originals I believe are more like
sheetmetal screws.

Hope that helps.
Steve