Re: [Tigers] Pertronix selection

To: <Rollright@aol.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pertronix selection
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:09:45 -0700
I installed a Pertronix II and pertronix Flamethrower II coil (stock
looking) on both my Mustang and my Tiger.
On the mustang, I also installed the pertronix wires (black, stock looking),
but haven't had a chance to do the same on the tiger.

I believe that Pertonix also offers a whole distributor setup with a stock
looking cap as well.  But I believe their distributor is non-adjustable as
far as springs and vacuum advance goes, so you set the initial timing and
you are done, nice and simple, but if you were a racer you would probably
want more adjustment.

I like the pertronix set up for getting rid of the problems associated with
points, but I also believe that if it were to ever fail, it will fail
totally, so I keep a pair of old points in the vehicle, just incase, as I
think I could install a set of points on the side of the road well enough to
get home if needed.

The tach on my car with points installed, gave you a general idea of RPM,
but didn't seem to accurate.  It was interesting to watch the needle moving,
but I don't think it was accurate enough to be exceptionally useful as a
tach.  With the pertronix II installed, the needle still moves, but it
mostly hovers around 1500 rpm regardless of RPM, and doesn't move with
relation to engine RPM.

I have a Alpine tach that I plan to covert someday to the designs available
on the web and I hope that gives me a useful Tach again.

Thanks,
Steve