Re: [Tigers] Wheels on Ebay

To: "Cullen McCann" <CMcCann@lwpb.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Wheels on Ebay
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:39:33 -0700
Having the VIN tag attached to the cowl with the factory rivets, with
the factory paint underneath, raises the bar significantly when it comes
to determining whether or not a Tiger chassis is the one referenced on
the tag... But the authenticity of the chassis itself (i.e., whether or
not it's a Tiger chassis) isn't dependent on whether or not a Tiger VIN
tag is attached to it. One could even take the VIN tag off and attach an
Alpine tag, and it would still be TAC-able as a Tiger.

The TAC certificate includes a check box that indicates whether or not
the VIN plate is attached with the original fasteners. A reason for this
is that when the tag is not held on with original fasteners, it is
possible that, while the chassis is an authentic Tiger chassis, and the
VIN plate is an authentic Tiger VIN plate, they did not leave the
factory attached to each other. In the case of the eBay car, we can see
that the VIN plate's color code is 39, and the interior paint color
(visible in the rear-parcel-shelf photo) is red. That doesn't guarantee
anything, but it adds to the consistency of the overall picture and
should reduce the apprehension level related to the car. A detailed
inspection of the car should reveal other details that are consistent
with the production era (middle Mk1, probably pre-transition bodyshell),
or else some pointed questions need to be asked.

Theo