[Tigers] exhaust dressing for original exhaust manifolds

To: "Tigers@Autox. Team. Net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] exhaust dressing for original exhaust manifolds
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:44:26 -0600
Any time iron of any kind is blasted ground sanded or welded, it is
necessary to put an acid etch on the metal to make sure that paint will
adhere and that there is no moisture in the metal.  Any automotive paint
store will have it.  I always used Ditzler and liked it but all brands are
going to be as good.  It is mixed about 4 parts water to 1 acid if I
remember correctly and a gallon of the acid is about $30 unless I am dating
myself with a low price.  It is fairly safe to your hands except it will dry
them out and is best to use rubber gloves.  If you don't dilute it and then
use it on heavy rust, it does a really good job but quits when it dries.  It
has to be wet to work.  It is possible to bead blast something and paint it
30 seconds later and still have rust form under the paint because the
moisture can't be seen.  If your Eastwood paint rusted through, this is what
happened because moisture can't penetrate paint whether it is "set" or not.
This all should have been in the instructions.  When paint like this is
heated in order to dry it, it becomes tougher than when air dried but it is
only tougher to scuffing and not more rust proof.  Remember the term baked
on enamel.  Same thing.  Talk to your paint store because Eastwood is as
mentioned -- expensive --.  --Bill --

I did just what you did.

I blasted by stock cast iron headers and then applied Eastwood header
paint per the instructions.  One year later it was rusting through the
paint.

I complained to Eastwood.  They said my problem was that I did not  heat the
headers immediately after coating them.  Why would I as I didn't have  the
the engine back in the car?.  Eastwood said the coating requires high  heat
set. The heat needs to be applied right away.  Of course their  instructions
did not mention this fact.

They refused to refund my money and basically said 'tough luck'.

Will I ever buy an Eastwood product again?  They are over priced and  the
same item can usually be found cheaper elsewhere.  Not on your  life.
My advice is to have them coated.  Or use a quality header paint  from
you nearest store  I hear some have used Rustoleom BBQ paint.

Dave