Re: [Tigers] yet another Alger on eBay..

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] yet another Alger on eBay..
From: "Cullen McCann" <CMcCann@lwpb.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:18:15 -0600
Exactly! I noticed some of those points but not all of em....that's a
better analysis of what I was looking at. Man I would love to see this
car in person....what if.....just what if?

We've all seen Tiger clones, but when they transfer that much of a donor
tiger over to an Alpine chassis...that takes work. You have to be
dedicated to the cause....most people don't fake it so well.

I think I'll email the seller and ask about it....

I just browsed all the pictures - and I see nothing that definitely
marks it as an Alpine. On the other hand, it has all of these Tiger
widgets, which are generally missing from clones:

- Picture 22 shows the spec plate - it's from a Tiger (Hydraulic type
tappets, other things Tiger specific are hard to read)
- The front fenders, doors, and rear fenders all have the holes for the
Tiger trim. You'd put that in if you were building a good clone, but not
if you were going to brand it an Alpine conversion.
- Tiger oil filter hardware visible in the engine bay pictures.
- Original style fender brace (Ware strut) supports
- Picture 18 - you can see the non-OEM radiator catch tank, but you can
also see that it does have the OEM Tiger fender attachment for that
tank.
- Picture 12 - Tiger speedo
- Picture 25 - little hard to tell what's going on there, but it looks
like the battery vent hole in the (Tiger specific) trunk is being used
for something and it may have the Tiger battery hold-down.
- Picture 30 - It has the Tiger panel in front of the radiator (with the
shroud mounting points)

On the other hand, I don't see anything that points to Alpine origin.
The spare (as pictured in #38) is chucked into the Alpine tire well, but
you can see the bulge in the vinyl covering the trunk floor from the
Tiger spare hold-down. More than likely, the current owner doesn't know,
or specifically wants to distance the car from its Tiger origins...
That's a first, on eBay at least.

Theo