[Tigers] Gas mileage

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Gas mileage
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:28:14 -0800
Lot's of talk about gas mileage. My father used to tell me "Show me
someone who knows his gas mileage, and I will show you a failure in life."

Of course, that was when gas was $0.25/gallon.

On the other hand, in the mid '50's I entered a Gas Mileage rally from
Los Angeles to Santa Barbara with my MG-TD.

The MG, usually, gets terrible mileage because you had to thrash it to
death to beat the little old lady's Chevvie 6.  And she didn't even know
we were racing!  On this rally (MG CAR CLUB OF AMERICA) I took first
place at 42 mpg.

What was the secret?  It will work today!

Start out from the start line verrry slowly.  Drive as if you had a raw
egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal. Accelerate to about 20
mph slowly, shifting at low to moderate rpm. Be just short of killing
the engine.  Maintain this speed without pressure or stopping - Game the
stop lights. Start decelerating way before the stop, if you can't time
it.  Turn OFF the engine at every stop, until the light has changed.
Put cotton in your ears so you don't hear the horns or yelling from
surrounding cars!

Does it work?  I have the trophy.  Is it fun?  About as much fun as
driving of a winding road into a canyon, which is at least a thrill -
until the sudden stop.    :-D

Steve

___
Steve Laifman