Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage

To: SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas mileage
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:38:50 EST
Steve,
It's much easier today....take a 4200 lb. full sized car.....Caddy  or big
Mercedes, get it up to 65-70 mph, set the cruise control and get 26-28  mpg.
Pretty amazing and it will only get better with the latest   Federal
initiative.
 Of course, no matter what the politicians and  environmental people tell us,
we won't save money.  The cars will cost more  and the price of gas will have
to rise so the fuel suppliers can get the same  gross.
I remember talking to the owner of a gas/service station in the  late 1960's.
 This is when a big car got 12-14 mpg and gas cost  about 35 cents. I told
him I heard that full sized cars were under  development that, in the future,
would get 25 mpg.  He said that he  believed it, but to mark his word, when
that day came the price of gas would be  over $3 per gallon. He said the fuel
companies are not going to take lower  profits regardless.  What foresight that
man had.