Re: [Tigers] Top-loader overdrive

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Top-loader overdrive
From: John Crawley <alittlemoreink@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:51:52 +0000
Hi:
I agree most of the '70s toploader overdrives were weak as they had aluminium
cases. The '79 Granada top-loader overdrive was cast iron and built to take
the same power as the TIGER 4-speed.
I have been running one of these for the past 10 years in my TIGER and have
had no problems. The ratios are not perfect as there is too big of a gap
between 2nd and 3rd which is 1:1 but I have lived with this. The over-drive
fourth came as either 20% or 30% - I have been running the 30% and it is great
on the highway. Installing one of these is not straight forward as they have
the short tailshaft rather than the TIGER's longer one. It can be done though
and if anyone is interested I can supply a how-to or more information on the
gearing. I also have a spare trany and gear sets for not too much.
Godspeed in SAFETY FAST
Jc