Re: [Tigers] Toploader overdrive

To: 65tiger@comcast.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Toploader overdrive
From: Gary Crandall <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:24:55 -0800 (PST)
Curtis,

  Point well made. That's exactly why I kept my 2.88s, instead of going to
3.31s, when I put in my positraction. I knew 3.31s would be way too low for the
wide ratio setup, especially with 13" tires. Now I have a 25% larger spread
between the gears over the close ratio setup, i.e., 10% better hole shot and
15% better cruise. I've also picked up some 7" wheels, so I can get some more
rubber on the road.

  Gary

65tiger@comcast.net wrote:
  When I converted from the close ratio top 4 speed, 3:31 rear end to a Tremec
5 speed. I found the Tremec 1st gear too low. Way too low. Back before Tremec,
with my close ratio, high 1st gear, I blew away anything. Especially those with
low first gears. Because of my better power to weight, I could not only hold
them off in 1st (actually pulling away), when they shifted to 2nd, they
disappeared (in my rear view mirror). Especially Mustangs. You can sacrifice a
little clutch and it makes up for the ratio. As has been written in many
articles, a very low 1st gear is not much of an advantage. The Tremec 0.63 5th
gear was very nice for cruising, the 1st gear was useless for racing so I
started from 2nd when it mattered. I ran gumball tires so frying them rarely
occurred.

Curtis