Re: [Tigers] Pertronix and Solid-Conductor Ignition Wires

To: "Theo Smit" <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pertronix and Solid-Conductor Ignition Wires
From: "Will Seay" <wseay@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:27:58 -0500
Theo,
No, I'm not planning to make a fuelie out of my Tiger or anything like that.
The simple reason for using solids is that I have them.  I bought a set of
repro solid-conductor wires some years ago, long before I bought the
Pertronix unit.  The wires should look correct under the hood, and, with
resistor plugs, should provide adequate RFI suppression.  My past experience
with resistor wires was that they were prone to become intermittent and that
connecting an Ohm meter to a wire and wiggling it to see if it's the bad one
is also the best way to make a good wire into a bad one.  I'm not hard-over
on solid-conductor wires, I just don't want to put a good set in the dumper
because Pertronics may have made an unnecessarily-broad statement about
solid-conductor wires.  It seems to me that a device connected to the
primary of the coil (Pertronix) would find it hard to tell the difference
between a distributed resistance in series with the plug gap vs and a lumped
resistance in series with the gap on the secondary of the coil.  Obviously
Pertronix is the authority on this, so I'll ask them.  Just thought that
maybe someone on the list had run into this before.

Will Seay - B382001570