Re: [Tigers] (no subject)

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] (no subject)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:31:22 -0700
Hi Mark,
It depends mostly on what else you change. When I put my 5.0 in I kept
the 260 front timing cover and found a new water pump that fit the
cover. I used a Professional Products 50 oz-in damper, which has the
correct length and bolt pattern to fit the original pulley. It also has
3 sets of timing marks that cover all the different timing mark
locations used in different generations of the small block.

On the other end of the engine you need to find  a bellhousing that fits
the 6-bolt block on the front, and your transmission on the back. If the
trans is an original narrow bolt pattern toploader then the most
straightforward route is to find a 6-bolt bellhousing that has the wide
toploader pattern as well as the input bearing retainer for the later
toploader. The bellhousing needs to be drilled and have blocks welded
into it to accept the narrow bolt pattern transmission bolts.

Other alternatives are to get an aftermarket scattershield or
bellhousing that accepts the narrow bolt pattern, or to swap to the
later style toploader case.
If you go to the T5 transmission there are other issues that need to be
solved one way or the other. None of it is especially difficult but
there are actually enough different ways to do it, that the hardest part
may be deciding which way to go.

Theo