Re: [Tigers] Engine Rebuild

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Rebuild
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:20:55 -0500
I bought a 5-bolt 289 short block from a fellow Tiger member, then
bought the Edelbrock alum Performer Plus heads, Comp Cams 262H cam, KB
.030-over 9.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, rods and all the internals. I had
it built by Stockman Engines through Doug Jennings. Total cost was
around $4500. With stock cast headers, F4B, 500 CFM carb, dual-point
distributor (with Pertronix), and 1.75" exhaust it still makes over 240
at the rear wheel at a reasonable 5200 rpm. I wanted a long-lasting,
torquey engine that was manageable and was period correct. So far, with
a little over 8K miles on the engine, my expectations have been met.

I up-graded the brakes and suspension accordingly, the car is balanced
and just a blast to drive. I also own a very original Tiger with an
untouched stock powertrain. I put it on the dyno just for giggles, it
made a whopping 132 HP at 4200 rpm. Much room for improvement here,
although the car is a very pleasant highway cruiser.

Bugz