Re: [Tigers] Engine rebuild

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine rebuild
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:17:24 -0600
Correct David,
    Plus I trust a crate motor way more than a rebuild.  The price you are
quoting might be right from a nationally renowned engine builder but for a
local group I would be wary.  Porting the stock heads is a do it yourself
job as far as I am concerned.  All that is necessary is to gasket match and
smooth into the port.  An air tool is much better but a high speed 1/4 inch
drill will work too.  The only reason it is expensive is because it is labor
intensive, not because it is difficult. The reason a really good engine
rebuild is expensive is because of the machines necessary to do the job
correctly are different than the machines used for standard rebuilds and so
is the time spent.  You really don't know how good your rebuild is until
down the line and then it is too late because you will be blamed for over
revving or lack of oil because I guarantee it won't be their fault.-- Bill
--

Tim:
I think I spent a similar amount on my 302 for pretty much the same work

Best Regards
David Sosna
P.S. This was around '04.