[Tigers] Vacuum advance on a 347

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Vacuum advance on a 347
From: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:22:47 -0500
Mark,

Well I am running my 349 stroker and I have the MSD vacuum advance unit
and I am VERY happy with it. The problem would be how much advance you
leave in the distributor. Personally the mileage with the vacuum advance
is nothing to write home about so if I were to consider no advance ... I
think it would suck. The other option is perhaps to ask them for a turn
key and tell them to provide a quality distributor that they are willing
to warranty like an MSD.

Most street applications I believe operate best with some form of vacuum
advance for part throttle steady state cruising and without it I think
it would lead to some additional heat.

Regardless, Perhaps you are dealing with the wrong guys and they really
do not want to warranty a street application. If it is a Race engine
warranties do not mean much unless there is a failure that does not
obliterate the cause in the self destruct sequence.

By the way It makes plus 430 HP at the crank and runs as smooth as our
stocker (sort of) 91 mustang.

You are also running a light car and I doubt you will be pulling the 40
foot boat and usually pre-ignition destruction comes from heavy extended
load. Hard enough to create enough load to break the rings in let alone
grenade the engine due to detonation. Of course extended high RPM with
do it but you did say it was for your street Tiger ... right?

The big issue for me with the FORD 347+ strokers is the cold start
piston slap ... not fatal but annoying.

I just saw a 331 Stroker with only a little more stroke but a much large
piston from FORD recently. They build it in a Race block and that is the
route I would go. They saw 425+ HP out of it with very minor prep. I
believe it was in Hot Rod last month.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Services Consultant