Re: [Tigers] Racing Driver Wannabees

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Racing Driver Wannabees
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:21:35 -0700
Well, shoot, if you want to drool and look at expensive stuff... try a
SFI /20 fire suit made from carbon x (mine is nomex), a pair of funny
car boots, gloves and undies. Then added helmet sock, collar.  My suit
was in the $1800 dollar range from Stroud Safety, all the other junk is
likewise expensive. Helmet was $400 plus to meet SA 2005 standards and
I'll have to buy a new one in a couple of years. Now add fire bottles,
about a $1000 total there, and of course 5 point or better 7pt
harness..  Now put it all on and go out to Bonneville in August. Man you
cna pretend a lot there, lol... while you are melting... And just this
year they added later head restraints to the equation... Those are
custom made also using a special new foam... What a hoot... They are
talking about making HANS a requirement but so far if you use a fore and
aft system it has to be part of an engineered unit. Oh, I can add the
helmet restraints like the HANS myselt though and lots of people have
done that. But you wann expensive, buy a nascar seat for your racer and
then the hans is about a grand also.

yup, lots of drooling even from me..

mayf