Re: [Tigers] Gee Wizz

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gee Wizz
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:06:56 -0500
Jeff,

    This is from experience watching road racing in the 60's.  The Tigers
almost always got beaten by the Alpines unless there was an extremely long
straightaway.  The Tigers were neater and sounded neater, but on a short
course, the Alpines dominated which means they went around the corner
faster.  Today I'm sure there are a lot more Tigers that are set up for
racing than Alpines so it would be difficult to measure now.  Being better
balanced, all else being equal, the Alpine will produce more G's every time.
Just the difference of Ackermann angles would do it.  The Tiger steering is
designed backwards and the Alpine is correct. I built an Alger some years
ago and put a rack behind the wheels and was stunned how well it handled in
comparison to my MKII, especially since I had small nylon tires on it so I
wouldn't wreck the wire wheels with the V8 and the Tiger had the best I
could buy at the time.  - Bill --

  _____