[Tigers] Junkyard vacation (2 parts)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Junkyard vacation (2 parts)
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:36:36 EDT
Today I spent a pleasant Vermont spring day in a  "hidden-away" junkyard.
It's only 45 minutes from my house and I never knew it  existed. Drive 5 miles
up
a dirt road and the "office" (falling down quanset hut  style bldg.) is at
the bottom of a mountain. A nice ole, "typically cautious of  strangers",
Vermont guy owns the place.
Told him I was looking for an  alternator bracket from a Ford small block.
Said, "Yup there's probably some up  there." I asked if my car would make it up
the dirt road (trail) since it looked  pretty rough. With the spring thaw it
was just all muck and pretty steep. Said  it "probably won't". He told me when
I was leaving that he had to know somebody  pretty well to let them take a
vehicle up the mountain. Guess he's had some bad  experiences with people
filling
their trunk with stolen parts.
Anyway, I  grabbed my 25 lb. bag of tools and headed up on foot. The place is
all dirt  roads, actually 2 tire ruts more than actual roads. The roads wind
up and around  the mountain. Off both sides of the road are woods. The woods
are filled with  cars, trucks, buses, RV's, boats, 18 wheelers, snowplows,
snowmobiles, golf  carts, bicycles, motorcycles, lawnmowers and anything else
with
wheels. All  scattered about. Leading off the roads are trails with more
vehicles to be  found, hidden out of sight. No trails to some of these vehicles
so
you know that  they were put in place 20, 30 and 40 years ago and the trees
have since grown up  to cover any traces of a way in. The place is full of
vehicles dating back to  the 30's and 40's with most of them from the 70's and
the
majority being pick em  up trucks. Supposedly the collection started in 1958.

listings at AOL Autos.