Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two

To: "'Shaun Laughy'" <tigerv8@rogers.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Two
From: "Jerry" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:34:13 -0500
Shaun,

Running that much initial advance could indicate that the harmonic balancer
has "slipped."  This happened to a friend of mine with a 428 Cobra Jet
engine. It had slipped 10 or 12 degrees.  I was rotating the engine to set
it up for initial start up.  For some reason, I put my finger in the # 1 cyl
to feel the piston come up to TDC; and, to my surprise, the piston came up
and was descending before I got to TDC. We sent it to Damper Doc in Calif.
And now it's where it's supposed to be.

However, I don't think that is the source of your problem with the noise
you're hearing. But it sure wouldn't hurt to check it out so that you know
that it is where it is supposed to be.  It would be very hard to set the
timing if you don't know where TDC is - just where it "sounds" good is not
good enough.

If you had 25 degrees initial and have the normal 26 degree mechanical
advance, you'd end up with 51 degrees at some higher RPM, depending on the
springs that are installed in the distributor.  You said it ran fine before
the "incident," so it could have been just fine.  It is just when you
checked it showed way off.

I have set up a couple dozen small and large block Ford distributors with
these specs.  Using 26 degrees of mechanical advance, the max total is 36
degrees - that will give approximately 10 initial (36-26=10) and all the
advance in by 2500 RPM using proper springs.  This has worked very well for
my Tiger and all the Mustangs I've done.

I'm still trying to figure out what your noise is. If it is in fact
backfiring, the things that cause that are a lean mixture or timing
problems.

Keep us all posted.

Jerry Christopherson