Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries

To: <dhhall@bellsouth.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:34:11 -0600
Are the original iron heads you're planning to keep, the 260 ones? You
should be careful (CC the heads) to not end up with an unworkable high
compression ratio. Either 260 or 289 heads will have 1.67/1.45" intake
and exhaust valves, while later 302 and 5.0 heads have 1.78" intake
valves.
351W heads use 1.84/1.54" valves, and 1.94" intake valves are available
in the aftermarket. If you're rebuilding heads and installing hardened
valve seats, then there is little extra cost involved in changing the
valve size, provided that the casting has enough beef in the right
places and you're willing to do the required porting afterwards, at
least to clean up the valve bowls. The OEM Ford heads are all going to
be pretty close to identical on external inspection, so you should
figure out if it's worth refurbishing 40 year old heads compared to a
set that could be half the age and have better drivability.
For street drivability a smaller carb will give better results because
the higher air velocity gives a stronger vacuum signal.

If the Tiger 289 you got is an actual 6 bolt block then you'll need to
source an appropriate bellhousing. If you got a 5-bolt 289 then it's not
an "original Tiger" piece but it will be far easier to retrofit that to
the existing bellhousing and transmission.

Hope this helps,
Theo