Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries

To: tigers@autox.team.net, dhhall@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries
From: <e.coiner@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:55:35 -0700
I have a 500 cfm edelbrock on my nearly stock 260.  It works great, good
driveablility.

As others have said, if your 289 is a 6 bolt bellhousing design you will need
to change bell housings and clutch slave cylinder mounting bracket.
The bell housing change is not clean because the original Tiger 4 speed only
has the small ear bolt pattern. All commonly available 6 bolt bellhousings only
have the large ear pattern.  If you switch to a Tiger MkII toploader or a T5 5
speed you avoid this problem

The mkII timing cover uses a Ford Cast iron water pump with a metal backing
plate built in.  You will need this style pump or an aftermarket Hi Flow pump
for this application.
IMHO the best money you can spend on this rebuild is to buy an Edelbrock
Aluminum high flow water pump.  I fought cooling problems on my Tiger for close
to a year and a half.  I followed every on line Tiger cooling article and the
advice of those on this list.  The car would still overheat at speed on the
highway or climbing hills.  Changed the water pump and the car now runs 200 F
tops. Does not over heat at idle, in traffic or on the open road.  I have
learned to watch the scenery while driving instead of the dash board :)

I would leave the flywheel stock.

Erich