Re: [Tigers] eBay Tiger

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] eBay Tiger
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:37:35 -0700
It has been rumored that "someone" had a lot of metal spec plates
reproduced, presumably for repair of original damaged ones.  The story
goes that a large number of these plates were stolen, presumably for
nefarious purposes.

In some states it is not legal to use reproduction plates, even if they
are altered to contain the correct information. A state inspection of
the vehicle, and its registration, required, and a NEW STATE NUMBER is
issued for missing ID.

Removing and replacing a VIN plate is allowed by licensed body shops to
repair damaged bodywork.  It is difficult to imagine an accident that
would damage the body, but not the plate.  Maybe a paint change is
adequate grounds. But "reproductions" are considered as forgeries.

At least that the way it is in CA.  My son's "RED TOI" was given an
"Equipment Violation" because the VIN was not visible through the
windshield.  On the base 1971 VW chassis there never was such an ID, it
was stamped on the tranny tunnel. So the infraction was waved by a CHP
required inspection.

Anyway, that's the way it is, anyway, in California.  The stickiest
state for auto ID, transfers, and licensing due to the large number of
vehicle thefts.  Although, lately, it's been Asian tin that is stolen.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com