Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:45:30 -0700
As Steve says...H2 is merely a storage medium. It only gives back
exactly what it takes to produce it. And the heat available is 1/5, if I
remember correctl;y, that of gasoline. So it take a lot of H2 to go
anywhere and the power it makes is way less.  H2 must be stored at very
high pressures in order to get enough volume to go any distance.  There
are two types of fuel cells that use H2. One gets its O2 fromt he
atmosphere and the other is a mix of H2 and O2 called Brown gass (maybe
that is Browns gas).  On the salt this past summer, Ford ran their H2
fueled fuel cell cal using brown gass. two massive tanks wer needed and
the entire front of the car was an ice intercooler to keep the fuel
cells cooled. It did however, make a 207+ pass out the back door at the
5 mile trap.  There are some H2 busses, I think here in the Las Vegas
area. But you have to go to a H2 filling station to get refuled. I
haven't seen one yet...

On eday it may be ok, but not now.

mayf