Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] BMW Gas (NOT Gasoline)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 21:17:19 -0700
Scott,

Discovery Channel, Myth Busters, claims that their extreme test would
NOT ignite even when highly combustible thermite was over-loaded into
the aluminum paint.

That may be "common wisdom", but a reading of the referenced article,
concluded that massive amounts of the pyrotechnic THERMITE, might have
been a contributer, but the actual paint did not contain THERMITE.

The hydrogen did burn when air was present.  There were reports of some
gas bags leaking into the interior spaces, mixing with the air.  There
might have been a static electricity discharge in the aft end of the
interior, which would burn from rear to front.

http://www.powerset.com/explore/semhtml/LZ_129_Hindenburg?query=Hindenburg

I was a day when the air was charged with static electricity, and the landing
cables were conductive.

Food for thought, and it has been since May, 1937.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com