Re: [Tigers] Cleo Shelby's Tiger

To: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>, "'Jerry'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cleo Shelby's Tiger
From: "Bob Dixon" <bobdixon@frii.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:43:30 -0600
On my last Tiger I made up a power steering unit.  Since I was autocrossing
the car with slick 265's all around, it was really tearing up my shoulder,
so I had to do something.

I used a power steering rack from a Miata.  Since a lot of the Spec Miata
guys go to manual steering, the racks are easy to come by.  I made some
brackets so that the rack just bolted in place of the Midget rack I had in
there already.  I had to make some adapters to connect the Miata rack to the
rod ends.  Here's the cool part, I then used an electric power steering pump
from a Subaru XT6 I believe.  I mounted the pump behind the passenger seat.
I had a switch on the dash that I could turn on my power steering when I
wanted it.  I think all in all I had around $300 in the whole thing.

It worked really well and saved my shoulders.

-Bob