[Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ??? Part 2 of 2

To: "Tigers@autox.team.net" <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ??? Part 2 of 2
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:50:40 -0500
Part 2 of 2 continued:

Steve,

I would encourage you not to be put-out by the different facets surrounding
this issue. Like everything else out there, if you talk to 10 people you will
get 10 different opinions, but it doesn't have to mean that your experience
with the car is compromised. To me, this entire issue is a lot like when the
replica Shelby cobras hit the market years ago. There are originals, and there
are impressions, and personally I don't mind a replica of anything (I
shouldn't because I have one) but I don't try to pass it off as an authentic
cobra. I will tell anyone who asks that it's a replica. I think of it as a die
cast or plastic model sitting on a bookshelf that is big enough to drive
around in and have fun, and I subscribe to the idea that impersonation is the
highest form of flattery. Likewise I don't mind it when someone builds an
Alpine and puts a V8 in it, as long as its represented for what it is.

But, on the other hand, people who own authentic Tigers want to preserve their
investment, just as those who own real Cobras would want to preserve theirs. I
personally don't want my Tiger confused with a clone or a tribute car, for the
simple reason that an Alpine can be purchased much cheaper and is less
collectible, and I'm tickled that I'm in a point in my life where I can have a
car with as much collectability and historical significance as a Tiger. I am
proud that its as special as it is, and want it to remain as such. I guess to
answer your question, it absolutely remains a "real" Tiger with all the
additions you mentioned, just not everybody aggress with whether or not they
should be on there....anyway, that was supposed to be a short thought...oh
well.

Thanks,

Cullen

Steve said:

"How can the Tiger owners as a group be so concerned about authenticity  when
so few leave their cars stock ? How can putting a 260 in an Alpine be such a
big deal when people buy "real" Tigers and change them beyond all recognition
?
How does it remain a "real" Tiger with 4 wheel discs, 5 spd, 302, AC, non
stock paint, non stock wheels, alternator etc etc etc ?

Now I don't want to make a bunch of enimies with this but the post I respond
asked for thoughts. Mine are from someone with only months of Tiger knowledge
who wants badly to own a car but does not yet. As said I find the
"correctness/modification" issue to be quite off-putting."

Steve Ralsten