Re: [Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ??? Part 1 of 2

To: "Tigers@autox.team.net" <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Alger ?? Tiger ??? Part 1 of 2
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:49:30 -0500
Steve,

This email got longer than I thought it would be so this is email 1 of 2.

I have only been a Tiger owner for a couple of years. So please take my
opinion with a grain of salt, I suppose. When I first joined this list I was
immediately faced with the same impression that you have been, and would like
to offer my thoughts as well in regards to your comments. When I proposed
nearly the same question, I got a lot of different opinions....but that's just
the nature of this. If you get on the email list for the corvette group, or
the Shelby group, or the model T group...I guarantee you get the same issue, I
don't think its unique to Sunbeams....actually I know its not because I've
been on those other groups...and they talk about the same stuff.

First of all, I think all on the list would agree at some level, that the
critical factor in whether a Sunbeam is a Tiger or an Alpine is simply what it
started out as on the assembly line. The original body tub is either a Tiger,
or its not..( with the possible exception of a few one-off prototypes and race
cars that have huge historical value and are probably exempt from this entire
discussion..)

In my opinion, no matter what is done to the car, it doesn't change what it
was born as. You can have a Tiger body with a chevy V6 in it, with a chevette
rear suspension and a blower sticking out of the hood, painted purple with
flames and gold flake glitter...and its still a Tiger. Granted most of us, me
included, would consider it in very poor taste, and an embarrassment to what
that car was meant to be...but whether I like it or not, its still a Tiger. I
feel very strongly that the customization factor changes that. The
customization factor simply changes its desirability among the different
disciplines of followers.

Steve said:

"How can the Tiger owners as a group be so concerned about authenticity  when
so few leave their cars stock ? How can putting a 260 in an Alpine be such a
big deal when people buy "real" Tigers and change them beyond all recognition
?
How does it remain a "real" Tiger with 4 wheel discs, 5 spd, 302, AC, non
stock paint, non stock wheels, alternator etc etc etc ?

Now I don't want to make a bunch of enimies with this but the post I respond
asked for thoughts. Mine are from someone with only months of Tiger knowledge
who wants badly to own a car but does not yet. As said I find the
"correctness/modification" issue to be quite off-putting."

Steve Ralsten