Re: [Tigers] fuel cap

To: "'Bill Lawrence'" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] fuel cap
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:00:01 -0400
Bill
        I believe the original casting had cast in posts that were swaged
over a washer and the spring loaded seal part which is a very good
mechanical way to attach parts.   The problem is they were not concerned
with corrosion or how to repair a failure 40 years in the future.
Generally today auto parts have a design requirement to last only 10 years.

Sunbeam Specialties list a gas cap #GT56  $79.60

I believe I have that part on my Tiger now.   It is an excellent part with 4
screws holding the spring loaded seal part to the cap.

You might be able to drill and tap screw holes into your cap but I have
never attempted that.   The gas cap that was on the car was pitted some so I
never tried to repair it.

You should also check the condition of the spring on your cap.  I had one
that the wire was pitted, lost most of it spring force and it would barely
spring up.   Sunbeam Specialties might have those in stock too but I'm not
sure right now where I got a new spring for my gas cap.

Ron Fraser